Updated Dec 28, 2013 - 9:11 am
D-backs have had discussions with Masahiro Tanaka's agent
"The Arizona Diamondbacks have had initial discussions with Casey Close, the agent for Masahiro Tanaka," Gambadoro said on Friday's Burns & Gambo Show. "That is the first step. They are not alone. There are several teams that will be having discussions with Casey Close. He represents Masahiro Tanaka, as well as Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke. He also represents Derek Jeter.
"He is the agent. The Diamondbacks have reached out to him. They have had discussions regarding Tanaka. And they will have more discussions."
The news comes just a day after ESPN.com baseball insider Jim Bowden detailed the five teams most likely to land Tanaka, with the D-backs failing to make the list.
Largely considered the gem of the Major League Baseball free agency market, Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA last season with his Nippon Professional Baseball team, the Rakuten Eagles.
According to MLB spokesman Michael Teevan, all bids must be submitted by Jan. 24 at 5:00 p.m. EST. Based on a new agreement between MLB and NPB, posting fees for Tanaka will be capped at $20 million.
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.