Diamondbacks' extension of Goldschmidt's contract called one of the best moves of 2013
In March, the Diamondbacks finalized a five-year, $32 million extension with the then-25-year-old slugger, and he proceeded to smack 36 home runs and 125 RBI while hitting .302 in 2013, becoming the brightest spot of an 81-81 club.
MLB Trade Rumors expounded on its inclusion of Goldschmidt's contract extension in the year-end list:
This one does not require much explanation. Goldschmidt signed his extension with Arizona after a very promising run in his first season of full-time action. Then, he nearly won an MVP award.
All nine transactions were placed in a poll for readers to vote on, and at the moment, Goldschmidt leads the pack by more than 200 votes over Boston's extension of Dustin Pedroia's contract.
Goldschmidt has 14.5 percent of the total vote at this time, while Pedroia has garnered 13.1 percent of votes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.