Diamondbacks' extension of Goldschmidt's contract called one of the best moves of 2013
In March, the Diamondbacks finalized a five-year, $32 million extension with the then-25-year-old slugger, and he proceeded to smack 36 home runs and 125 RBI while hitting .302 in 2013, becoming the brightest spot of an 81-81 club.
MLB Trade Rumors expounded on its inclusion of Goldschmidt's contract extension in the year-end list:
This one does not require much explanation. Goldschmidt signed his extension with Arizona after a very promising run in his first season of full-time action. Then, he nearly won an MVP award.
All nine transactions were placed in a poll for readers to vote on, and at the moment, Goldschmidt leads the pack by more than 200 votes over Boston's extension of Dustin Pedroia's contract.
Goldschmidt has 14.5 percent of the total vote at this time, while Pedroia has garnered 13.1 percent of votes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.