Report: Arizona Diamondbacks could trade J.J. Putz
According to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Arizona Diamondbacks could be mulling over the possibility of trading veteran relief pitcher J.J. Putz.
Don't be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, earning $6.5 million, could be one possibility, though it is not known whether Yankees ownership would part with Suzuki or how he would adjust to a backup role.
Putz also could be part of a trade for a starter such as the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo if the D-backs fall short in other pursuits.
Reed, acquired from Chicago for third base prospect Matt Davidson last month, would figure to be the D-backs' closer in 2014, although general manager Kevin Towers has stated that the job is up for grabs.
Putz, who has one year remaining on his contract with Arizona, has been the primary closer for the Diamondbacks since his arrival prior to the 2011 season. In an injury-plagued 2013 season, Putz registered six saves and a 3-1 record in just 34.1 innings of work.
Putz's 83 saves are the second-most in franchise history, behind only Jose Valverde, who saved 98 games from 2003 to 2007.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?