Report: Arizona Diamondbacks could trade J.J. Putz
According to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Arizona Diamondbacks could be mulling over the possibility of trading veteran relief pitcher J.J. Putz.
Don't be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, earning $6.5 million, could be one possibility, though it is not known whether Yankees ownership would part with Suzuki or how he would adjust to a backup role.
Putz also could be part of a trade for a starter such as the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo if the D-backs fall short in other pursuits.
Reed, acquired from Chicago for third base prospect Matt Davidson last month, would figure to be the D-backs' closer in 2014, although general manager Kevin Towers has stated that the job is up for grabs.
Putz, who has one year remaining on his contract with Arizona, has been the primary closer for the Diamondbacks since his arrival prior to the 2011 season. In an injury-plagued 2013 season, Putz registered six saves and a 3-1 record in just 34.1 innings of work.
Putz's 83 saves are the second-most in franchise history, behind only Jose Valverde, who saved 98 games from 2003 to 2007.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?