Report: Arizona Diamondbacks could trade J.J. Putz
According to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Arizona Diamondbacks could be mulling over the possibility of trading veteran relief pitcher J.J. Putz.
Don't be surprised if the Diamondbacks trade right-hander J.J. Putz following their addition of former White Sox closer Addison Reed. Putz is signed for $7 million in 2014, and the D-backs most likely would be required to accept a comparable salary in return.
Yankees outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, earning $6.5 million, could be one possibility, though it is not known whether Yankees ownership would part with Suzuki or how he would adjust to a backup role.
Putz also could be part of a trade for a starter such as the Brewers' Yovani Gallardo if the D-backs fall short in other pursuits.
Reed, acquired from Chicago for third base prospect Matt Davidson last month, would figure to be the D-backs' closer in 2014, although general manager Kevin Towers has stated that the job is up for grabs.
Putz, who has one year remaining on his contract with Arizona, has been the primary closer for the Diamondbacks since his arrival prior to the 2011 season. In an injury-plagued 2013 season, Putz registered six saves and a 3-1 record in just 34.1 innings of work.
Putz's 83 saves are the second-most in franchise history, behind only Jose Valverde, who saved 98 games from 2003 to 2007.
- D-backs Henry Blanco wants to coach after playing career
- Bronson Arroyo feeling better since scratched spring start
- Opening Series uniform patch revealed for Diamondbacks, Dodgers games in Australia
- D-backs' Chris Owings likely to don Sedona red on his first trip abroad
- D-backs' Archie Bradley struggles in third Cactus League start
- Ferguson Jenkins, Hall of Fame pitcher - Friday March 14How has baseball changed?
- Henry Blanco, Diamondbacks catcher - Thursday March 13Henry Blanco talks about his efforts to make the Diamondbacks roster.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Thursday March 13Archie Bradley reacts to his first rocky start of spring training.
- Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated MLB writer - Thursday March 13Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Chris Owings, Diamondbacks shortstop - Thursday March 13Chris Owings talks about the position battle at shortstop between himself and Didi Gregorius.
- J.J. Putz, Diamondbacks relief pitcher - Thursday March 13Diamondbacks reliever J.J. Putz discusses the team's upcoming trip to Australia.
- Kevin Towers, Diamondbacks GM - Thursday March 13Kevin Towers discusses the battle at shortstop.