Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 9:21 am
Cody Ross hopes to be 'a big part' of 2014 D-backs
The Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder, who was carted off the field that mid-August day, had to receive season-ending surgery for the injury, later revealed as a dislocated hip, with a return timetable set for mid-Spring Training.
With pitchers and catchers reporting in less than 50 days, Ross, a 10-year veteran, feels he can hit that timetable.
After three months of intense rehabilitation, he is ahead of schedule.
"It was a tough, grueling few months," Ross told Arizona Sports' Hot Stove Show on Monday.
"(But rehabilitation) is definitely a lot better and quicker than all of us thought."
The 33-year-old Ross was hitting .278 with 38 RBI in 94 games for the Diamondbacks before the injury, suffered on Aug. 11.
"Now we're starting to get into the running and I'm doing all baseball activities -- hitting, throwing, I'm doing everything," Ross told the show.
During the moment of injury, three things occurred.
Ross hyperextended his leg, which caused a force to rush from his caught foot, through his knee and into his hip. His hip socket popped out of place and a piece of the wall of his hip broke off.
Given its gruesome nature, a Spring Training return might have seemed like a longshot.
Now, though, in a new year, Ross feels optimistic about his chances to not only make it back, but also to make an impact for the 2014 team.
"I put the time and the effort in to get back and hopefully be a big part of this team next year."
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.