Updated Jan 7, 2014 - 9:21 am
Cody Ross hopes to be 'a big part' of 2014 D-backs
The Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder, who was carted off the field that mid-August day, had to receive season-ending surgery for the injury, later revealed as a dislocated hip, with a return timetable set for mid-Spring Training.
With pitchers and catchers reporting in less than 50 days, Ross, a 10-year veteran, feels he can hit that timetable.
After three months of intense rehabilitation, he is ahead of schedule.
"It was a tough, grueling few months," Ross told Arizona Sports' Hot Stove Show on Monday.
"(But rehabilitation) is definitely a lot better and quicker than all of us thought."
The 33-year-old Ross was hitting .278 with 38 RBI in 94 games for the Diamondbacks before the injury, suffered on Aug. 11.
"Now we're starting to get into the running and I'm doing all baseball activities -- hitting, throwing, I'm doing everything," Ross told the show.
During the moment of injury, three things occurred.
Ross hyperextended his leg, which caused a force to rush from his caught foot, through his knee and into his hip. His hip socket popped out of place and a piece of the wall of his hip broke off.
Given its gruesome nature, a Spring Training return might have seemed like a longshot.
Now, though, in a new year, Ross feels optimistic about his chances to not only make it back, but also to make an impact for the 2014 team.
"I put the time and the effort in to get back and hopefully be a big part of this team next year."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.