Arizona Diamondbacks still alive in Tanaka sweepstakes; meeting planned
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, Tanaka and his representatives are headed to the United States and will meet with as many as 12 teams by Friday. The D-backs -- along with the Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees -- are one of those teams.
The Dodgers, Angels, Cubs, Yankees and Diamondbacks have long been known to have a keen interest in the 25-year-old righthander who went a magical 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for Rakuten, and earned virtual free agency via a revamped posting system that only will require the winning team to give $20 million to Rakuten, far short of what the Japanese teams received for previous Japanese pitching stars Daisuke Matsuzaka and Yu Darvish.
In seven seasons with Rakuten in the Japan Pacific League, Tanaka posted a 99-35 record with a 2.30 ERA.
Whatever team signs Tanaka is expected to commit well over $100 million, in addition to the $20 million posting fee.
Tanaka must sign with a Major League team by January 24, or he'll have to return to Japan next season.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.