Diamondbacks name Chris Cron minor league hitting coordinator
Cron, 49, previously was the manager of the Detroit Tigers' Double-A affiliate. He will enter his 30th season in professional baseball when he starts with the Diamondbacks organization.
Cron won Manager of the Year awards in the Carolina League in 1998 and the Pioneer League in 2010, and he led a Chicago White Sox affiliate to a Pioneer League Championship in 2008.
The D-backs' new hitting coach also played 12 years in the minor leagues for the White Sox, Atlanta Braves, California Angels and Cleveland Indians. He had stints with the Angels and the White Sox in the Majors in 1991 and 1992, respectively.
Cron is a native of Albuquerque, N.M., and was selected by Atlanta in the second round of the 1984 draft.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.