Diamondbacks name Chris Cron minor league hitting coordinator
Cron, 49, previously was the manager of the Detroit Tigers' Double-A affiliate. He will enter his 30th season in professional baseball when he starts with the Diamondbacks organization.
Cron won Manager of the Year awards in the Carolina League in 1998 and the Pioneer League in 2010, and he led a Chicago White Sox affiliate to a Pioneer League Championship in 2008.
The D-backs' new hitting coach also played 12 years in the minor leagues for the White Sox, Atlanta Braves, California Angels and Cleveland Indians. He had stints with the Angels and the White Sox in the Majors in 1991 and 1992, respectively.
Cron is a native of Albuquerque, N.M., and was selected by Atlanta in the second round of the 1984 draft.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?