Diamondbacks name Chris Cron minor league hitting coordinator
Cron, 49, previously was the manager of the Detroit Tigers' Double-A affiliate. He will enter his 30th season in professional baseball when he starts with the Diamondbacks organization.
Cron won Manager of the Year awards in the Carolina League in 1998 and the Pioneer League in 2010, and he led a Chicago White Sox affiliate to a Pioneer League Championship in 2008.
The D-backs' new hitting coach also played 12 years in the minor leagues for the White Sox, Atlanta Braves, California Angels and Cleveland Indians. He had stints with the Angels and the White Sox in the Majors in 1991 and 1992, respectively.
Cron is a native of Albuquerque, N.M., and was selected by Atlanta in the second round of the 1984 draft.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.