Arizona Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley named top right-handed pitching prospect
The seventh pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft, the right-handed has posted a 26-11 record to go along with a 2.76 ERA over the course of his brief minor league career. At just 21 years old, Bradley projects as a future ace and is someone the team has not been willing to give up, and with good reason.
Quite simply, he's one of the best prospects in baseball, and Wednesday MLB.com ranked him as the top right-handed pitching prospect in the game.
The No. 7 overall pick in 2011, Bradley might be the starting quarterback at Oklahoma if he hadn't signed with Arizona for $5 million. At age 20, he spent most of the season in Double-A and ranked third in the Minor Leagues in wins (14) and ERA (1.84), and sixth in strikeouts (162 in 152 innings). Bradley's 92- to 97-mph fastball and hard curveball are both swing-and-miss pitches, and he made strides with his changeup and command last season.
By all accounts, the D-backs plan on giving Bradley an opportunity to earn a spot in the starting rotation this spring, and it would come as a shock to no one if he did just that.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated MLB writer - Thursday March 13Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Chris Owings, Diamondbacks shortstop - Thursday March 13Chris Owings talks about the position battle at shortstop between himself and Didi Gregorius.
- J.J. Putz, Diamondbacks relief pitcher - Thursday March 13Diamondbacks reliever J.J. Putz discusses the team's upcoming trip to Australia.
- Kevin Towers, Diamondbacks GM - Thursday March 13Kevin Towers discusses the battle at shortstop.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 13When will we see Archie Bradley in the big leagues?
- Jeff Passan, senior baseball columnist Yahoo! Sports - Wednesday March 12Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?