Updated Jan 16, 2014 - 3:39 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Cody Ross is back taking batting practice
In his first year with the Arizona Diamondbacks after signing a three-year, $26 million contract, Ross hit .278 with 8 home runs and 38 RBI.
He got off to a slow start and finally seemed to be turning things around in July, only to post even better numbers in August. Unfortunately, Ross' season ended on Aug. 11 when he dislocated his hip trying to run out a ground ball.
No one is quite sure when Ross will be able to return to the team, though he said in early January the plan was to be "a big part" of the 2014 Diamondbacks.
He took a step in the right direction Thursday, as the outfielder stepped into the batter's box and took some cuts at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale.
- Ferguson Jenkins, Hall of Fame pitcher - Friday March 14How has baseball changed?
- Henry Blanco, Diamondbacks catcher - Thursday March 13Henry Blanco talks about his efforts to make the Diamondbacks roster.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Thursday March 13Archie Bradley reacts to his first rocky start of spring training.
- Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated MLB writer - Thursday March 13Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Chris Owings, Diamondbacks shortstop - Thursday March 13Chris Owings talks about the position battle at shortstop between himself and Didi Gregorius.
- J.J. Putz, Diamondbacks relief pitcher - Thursday March 13Diamondbacks reliever J.J. Putz discusses the team's upcoming trip to Australia.
- Kevin Towers, Diamondbacks GM - Thursday March 13Kevin Towers discusses the battle at shortstop.