Report: Arizona Diamondbacks offer Masahiro Tanaka 6-year, $120M contract
(Note: The link is in Japanese.)
The report says the Diamondbacks offered Tanaka a six-year contract worth 12 billion yen -- a little more than $115 million, based on current exchange rates. According to the report, all offers have been worth at least $100 million over six years.
The report says that Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick and president and CEO Derrick Hall met with Tanaka, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA with the Rakuten Golden Eagles last season.
The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs have all made formal offers, according to the report.
The 25-year-old Tanaka has until Jan. 24 to pick a team, and whichever team he chooses will pay $20 million to Rakuten, according to Major League Baseball's new posting rules.
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.