Report: Arizona Diamondbacks offer Masahiro Tanaka 6-year, $120M contract
(Note: The link is in Japanese.)
The report says the Diamondbacks offered Tanaka a six-year contract worth 12 billion yen -- a little more than $115 million, based on current exchange rates. According to the report, all offers have been worth at least $100 million over six years.
The report says that Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick and president and CEO Derrick Hall met with Tanaka, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA with the Rakuten Golden Eagles last season.
The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs have all made formal offers, according to the report.
The 25-year-old Tanaka has until Jan. 24 to pick a team, and whichever team he chooses will pay $20 million to Rakuten, according to Major League Baseball's new posting rules.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?