Report: Arizona Diamondbacks offer Masahiro Tanaka 6-year, $120M contract
(Note: The link is in Japanese.)
The report says the Diamondbacks offered Tanaka a six-year contract worth 12 billion yen -- a little more than $115 million, based on current exchange rates. According to the report, all offers have been worth at least $100 million over six years.
The report says that Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick and president and CEO Derrick Hall met with Tanaka, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA with the Rakuten Golden Eagles last season.
The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox and Chicago Cubs have all made formal offers, according to the report.
The 25-year-old Tanaka has until Jan. 24 to pick a team, and whichever team he chooses will pay $20 million to Rakuten, according to Major League Baseball's new posting rules.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.