ESPN insider: Catcher Miguel Montero will be D-backs' 'linchpin' in 2014
In an ESPN insider piece this weekend, Buster Olney released his '30 Linchpin Players of 2014' -- a list of the one player for "each of the 30 teams whose performance will be most pivotal."
When it came to the D-backs, Olney believes the onus will be on catcher Miguel Montero to have a big year.
Arizona Diamondbacks: Miguel Montero. They greatly value him, and they're paying him to be a key part of their lineup. When he didn't hit last season, it really, really hurt; he must be an effective complement to Paul Goldschmidt.
Montero, who signed a new five-year, $60-million deal back in May 2012, struggled mightily last season, batting just .230 with 11 home runs and 42 RBI -- his lowest offensive outputs since 2010.
To make matters worse, Montero directed a starting pitching staff that finished No. 19 in ERA (4.13), No. 19 in WHIP (1.32), No. 22 in opponents' BAA (.264) No. 25 in wins (46).
In addition to his struggles on the field, the seven-year veteran missed a majority of August due to a lower back strain.
Montero also underwent surgery to clean up an infection in his left index finger back in October but is expected to be at full strength in 2014. He along with Trumbo will be asked to serve as some additional lineup protection for Paul Goldschmidt (.302 batting average, 36 home runs and 125 RBI), who finished second in the MVP voting despite the catcher's woeful campaign in 2013.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?