Updated Jan 22, 2014 - 8:35 am
Report: Arizona Diamondbacks 1 of 5 teams left in Masahiro Tanaka sweepstakes
According to the report, the D-backs, Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox still have a chance to land the 25-year-old right-hander, who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA in 2013 with the Rakuten Golden Eagles.
The Cubs are expected to make the most lucrative offer, according to the report, which also said rumors have the bidding narrowed to just the Cubs and Yankees -- though those are, at this point, just rumors.
Tanaka has until 3 p.m. Friday to reach a decision, though it is believed he will agree in principle to a contract before then.
The D-backs reportedly made a six-year offer worth about $120 million during a meeting with Tanaka. Whichever team he chooses will pay $20 million, as part of Major League Baseball's new international posting rules.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.