ESPN's Law: Arizona Diamondbacks have baseball's 15th-best farm system
Or, maybe, they've rid it of players who are not destined for stardom at the Major League level.
Whatever the opinion, there is still some talent left, enough so that ESPN's Keith Law ranks the D-backs as having baseball's 15th-best farm system.
In an ESPN Insider piece, Law points to the team's arms as a strength.
A lot of high-ceiling pitching here, which is probably a good strategy for a team that plays in a hitter's park 1,100 feet above sea level, but light on near-term position players other than shortstop Chris Owings.
One bright spot on the hitting side: Brandon Drury, who looked like a throw-in to the Justin Upton trade, broke out with a big year for low Class A South Bend and may help salvage a mostly disastrous trade for the D-backs.
Owings compiled a .291 average over five minor league seasons, topping out at .330 with 12 home runs and 81 RBI in 125 games for Triple-A Reno last season. He earned a September call up, and responded by hitting .291 with 5 RBI and 2 stolen bases for the big league club.
As for Drury, he rebounded from a miserable 2012 in the Braves organization with a quality campaign for the D-backs. In 134 games for South Bend, he hit .302 with 15 home runs and 85 RBI.
Most of the rest of the NL West fared better than Arizona in the rankings, with the Rockies 8th, Padres 9th and Dodgers 11th, with only the Giants, at 25, finishing behind the D-backs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.