ESPN's Law: Arizona Diamondbacks have baseball's 15th-best farm system
Or, maybe, they've rid it of players who are not destined for stardom at the Major League level.
Whatever the opinion, there is still some talent left, enough so that ESPN's Keith Law ranks the D-backs as having baseball's 15th-best farm system.
In an ESPN Insider piece, Law points to the team's arms as a strength.
A lot of high-ceiling pitching here, which is probably a good strategy for a team that plays in a hitter's park 1,100 feet above sea level, but light on near-term position players other than shortstop Chris Owings.
One bright spot on the hitting side: Brandon Drury, who looked like a throw-in to the Justin Upton trade, broke out with a big year for low Class A South Bend and may help salvage a mostly disastrous trade for the D-backs.
Owings compiled a .291 average over five minor league seasons, topping out at .330 with 12 home runs and 81 RBI in 125 games for Triple-A Reno last season. He earned a September call up, and responded by hitting .291 with 5 RBI and 2 stolen bases for the big league club.
As for Drury, he rebounded from a miserable 2012 in the Braves organization with a quality campaign for the D-backs. In 134 games for South Bend, he hit .302 with 15 home runs and 85 RBI.
Most of the rest of the NL West fared better than Arizona in the rankings, with the Rockies 8th, Padres 9th and Dodgers 11th, with only the Giants, at 25, finishing behind the D-backs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.