ESPN's Law: Arizona Diamondbacks have baseball's 15th-best farm system
Or, maybe, they've rid it of players who are not destined for stardom at the Major League level.
Whatever the opinion, there is still some talent left, enough so that ESPN's Keith Law ranks the D-backs as having baseball's 15th-best farm system.
In an ESPN Insider piece, Law points to the team's arms as a strength.
A lot of high-ceiling pitching here, which is probably a good strategy for a team that plays in a hitter's park 1,100 feet above sea level, but light on near-term position players other than shortstop Chris Owings.
One bright spot on the hitting side: Brandon Drury, who looked like a throw-in to the Justin Upton trade, broke out with a big year for low Class A South Bend and may help salvage a mostly disastrous trade for the D-backs.
Owings compiled a .291 average over five minor league seasons, topping out at .330 with 12 home runs and 81 RBI in 125 games for Triple-A Reno last season. He earned a September call up, and responded by hitting .291 with 5 RBI and 2 stolen bases for the big league club.
As for Drury, he rebounded from a miserable 2012 in the Braves organization with a quality campaign for the D-backs. In 134 games for South Bend, he hit .302 with 15 home runs and 85 RBI.
Most of the rest of the NL West fared better than Arizona in the rankings, with the Rockies 8th, Padres 9th and Dodgers 11th, with only the Giants, at 25, finishing behind the D-backs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.