Updated Feb 5, 2014 - 5:48 pm
Diamondbacks manager Gibson: Mark Trumbo is a young, emerging player
Great power, but plenty of strikeouts. Adequate defense as a first baseman, but questionable abilities as a left fielder.
However, the skipper has every belief his new outfielder will come in and help the team win games.
"You know, I'm an optimistic guy," Gibson told the Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday. "I think that he's a young, emerging guy. There's a lot more left in his tank. We've seen his power."
It is Trumbo's power -- 95 home runs over the last three seasons, including 34 in 2013 -- that attracted the Diamondbacks.
Though Arizona ranked fifth in the National League in runs scored, with 685, they were fourth-to-last in the NL -- and baseball, as a whole -- in home runs, with just 130.
But with great power comes great responsibility or, as in Trumbo's case, a propensity to swing and miss. The slugger fanned 184 times last season, placing him seventh in all of baseball. In comparison Paul Goldschmidt led the D-backs in punchouts with 145.
"I think he's got room for improvement as far as connectivity," Gibson added. "We don't know how good of an outfielder he is, although I do know that he's a very good athlete."
Gibson said he believes Dave McKay, the team's new base running, first base and outfield coach, will play a vital role in Trumbo's development as a left fielder, where the 28-year-old has played just 75 career games.
"I'm optimistic," Gibson reiterated. "I think there's a lot of upside in this kid."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?