Arizona Diamondbacks manager says Cody Ross could be back by Opening Day
He finished the year with a .278 average, eight home runs and 38 RBI.
The veteran's role with the team going forward is a bit of a tricky proposition, especially since the D-backs traded for Mark Trumbo, who is expected to be in left field while A.J. Pollock is likely penciled into center.
That leaves Ross battling with Gold Glove winner Gerardo Parra for time in right, and an injury could put him a bit behind in whatever race there may be.
But according to D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson, it's possible Ross will return sooner than many people think.
"Cody's doing well," he told the Burns and Gambo Show Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Optimistically, let's say he'll be ready for the regular season, the start of the regular season."
However, Gibson admitted that an Opening Day return may be "a bit of a stretch," and that the team does not want to rush him back at the expense of allowing him to fully recover.
It was a problem the team had last year with Ross, albeit with a different injury.
"I think the one thing we don't want to do with him is get him so close and then try to cut that last corner," Gibson said. "If you remember last year, he had kind of a strained calf I think it was, he went into the season, he was way behind everybody, then he came back early and got hurt again, then he ended up having the bad hip injury."
So, Gibson said, even though Ross may be close to ready, he will not be in the lineup until there is no doubt of where his health is.
"That's four very, very good outfielders we've got out there," he said. "That's a very good situation to be in."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.