Updated Feb 6, 2014 - 6:44 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks, Mark Trumbo agree to contract and avoid arbitration
In January, CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reported Trumbo was asking for $5.85 million while the D-backs were offering $3.4 million.
Earlier in the week, D-backs GM Kevin Towers inferred that it may be a bit of a challenge to avoid arbitration with Trumbo, but said, "We're going to continue to have dialogue right up until the hearing. Hopefully we avoid it and get something done, and I'm positive we will -- or hopeful that we will."
Trumbo was acquired by the Diamondbacks in a three-team trade that saw the D-backs part with left-handed pitcher Tyler Skaggs and outfielder Adam Eaton.
The 28-year-old slugger hit .234 with 34 home runs and 100 RBI for the Los Angeles Angels last season. Over three full big league seasons, he has hit 95 home runs and driven in 284.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.