Updated Feb 13, 2014 - 11:15 am
Arizona Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall explains Towers and Gibson extensions
Both Kevin Towers' and Kirk Gibson's contracts were set to expire at the end of the campaign. But that's no longer the case, as both men received extensions earlier this month.
"It was the right thing to do, in my opinion," D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall told Doug and Wolf during Newsmakers Week on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday. "I didn't think it was healthy going into spring training with the target on their backs, the lame-duck status, the on-the-hot-seat (talk) when we didn't feel that way.
"We were going to go into the offseason with the approach of 'you've got one year left, you're still secure, now go out there and perform.' Yet, we have a lot of faith in these guys and it's not fair to them, it's not fair to their staffs, it's not fair to the players."
Gibson and Towers are entering their fourth full season as a managerial tandem. In their first three years, the D-backs have won a division title and have yet to finish lower than third in the National League West.
"They're both doing a great job," Hall said. "They've been together three years, they've never had a losing season. Their first together, they won the division. They go on and should have won the NLDS (against Milwaukee), but we know what happened there.
"And here we are today, thinking we're still as good as we were in 2011."
Things have changed in the National League West since the D-backs ruled it three seasons ago. The San Francisco Giants have won a World Series and the Los Angeles Dodgers finally have solid ownership and have spent enough money to make them the favorites for the forseeable future.
Another thing that has changed, according to Hall, is the attitude and confidence of his manager.
"You watch Gibby now and he's got this whole new sense of enthusiasm and focus and motivation," he said. "He's been unbelievable so far this year, so I'm very happy."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.