Trevor Cahill tends to get 'over-analytical', says D-backs manager
In three seasons since -- one more with the A's and two with the Arizona Diamondbacks -- he has gone 33-36 with a 3.98 ERA.
Despite the fact that Cahill, 25, has what's considered to be the most lively repertoire of pitches on the team, he has struggled to command it. Last season, the right-hander led the National League in wild pitches, with 17 in 25 starts, while walking 65 -- one fewer than Wade Miley, who tossed 56 more innings than Cahill.
This season, the pitcher will look to simplify things and "trust his stuff," as manager Kirk Gibson constantly encourages him to do.
"I think Trevor sometimes gets over-analytical and we're trying to minimize that," Gibson said over the weekend while discussing Cahill's outlook this season.
"We're trying to get him to just stay focused on his next pitch."
Last season, the pitcher's seeming lack of confidence manifested in his delivery during some points of the season, as he dropped his arm slot lower to his side in order to "manipulate the ball", according to Gibson, when throwing his signature pitch -- a sinking fastball.
After tweaking that, though, and relying more on the natural movement in his pitches, Cahill got results down the stretch.
Despite finishing sixth in the NL in walks-per-nine-innings, with a rate of 3.99, Cahill went 4-0 after Aug. 17, logging a 2.20 ERA over 45.0 innings pitched.
Headed into 2014, Gibson's advice to his pitcher is pretty straightforward: "Try and keep it just simpler."
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.