Updated Feb 20, 2014 - 9:34 am
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson shares his thoughts on MLB instant replay
The use of expanded instant replay was unanimously approved by MLB owners in January, but the sport's managers aren't unified in their reaction to the sweeping changes the system will bring. Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is, shall we say, cautiously optimistic about the new regulations.
"Personally for me, I can live with the old system. I like the human element," Gibson told Doug and Wolf Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It puts accountability on us all. But at the same time, that's where the game has decided it wants to go."
Gibson, who is entering his fourth full season as a big league manager, wasn't overly critical of the implementation of expanded instant replay. In fact, he thinks it could eventually be a positive.
"We've made a lot of good decisions in the game over the years and they've been good for the game. This one can work too," he said. "I know they don't want (the game) to get bogged down where we're sitting and looking at replays all the time. I think they'll have a quick fashion to resolve it. They're virtually going to review these plays, is my understanding -- it'll be going on before I even go out there to dispute it.
"I guess I have to be for it, I'm not going to fight it -- I'd be in the minority, I think, if I did."
It's interesting to note that the Diamondbacks will only have 160 of their 162 regular season games governed by the new system. Their season-opening two-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Australia will not feature expanded replay because the technology is not available at the historic Sydney Cricket Ground.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.