Updated Feb 20, 2014 - 9:34 am
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson shares his thoughts on MLB instant replay
The use of expanded instant replay was unanimously approved by MLB owners in January, but the sport's managers aren't unified in their reaction to the sweeping changes the system will bring. Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson is, shall we say, cautiously optimistic about the new regulations.
"Personally for me, I can live with the old system. I like the human element," Gibson told Doug and Wolf Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It puts accountability on us all. But at the same time, that's where the game has decided it wants to go."
Gibson, who is entering his fourth full season as a big league manager, wasn't overly critical of the implementation of expanded instant replay. In fact, he thinks it could eventually be a positive.
"We've made a lot of good decisions in the game over the years and they've been good for the game. This one can work too," he said. "I know they don't want (the game) to get bogged down where we're sitting and looking at replays all the time. I think they'll have a quick fashion to resolve it. They're virtually going to review these plays, is my understanding -- it'll be going on before I even go out there to dispute it.
"I guess I have to be for it, I'm not going to fight it -- I'd be in the minority, I think, if I did."
It's interesting to note that the Diamondbacks will only have 160 of their 162 regular season games governed by the new system. Their season-opening two-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Australia will not feature expanded replay because the technology is not available at the historic Sydney Cricket Ground.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.