Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo looks to protect Paul Goldschmidt
It was a banner season that earned him a second-place finish in the NL MVP voting and established the first baseman as one of the best young players in baseball.
The D-backs want more, though, which is why they went out and traded for Angels slugger Mark Trumbo.
It's not that they expect Trumbo to motivate Goldschmidt; rather, the thought is he will offer the first baseman a level of "protection" he was lacking last season.
The theory is if you pitch around Goldschmidt you'll have to deal with Trumbo, who hit .234 with 30 home runs while driving in 100 last year.
You kind of have to pick your poison.
"Without a doubt," Trumbo told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday when asked if he believes in the idea of protection in a lineup.
The way Trumbo sees it, the more hot bats there are in a lineup, the more the entire lineup benefits. With the Angels last season, he saw that first-hand with regards to star Mike Trout, who was hitting in front of three-time NL MVP Albert Pujols for a while.
"He got quite a few pitches to hit, then Albert went down, and the next thing you know the guy's got over 100 walks, and I think Goldy experienced that last year, too," he said. "If you really don't have a threat or a guy...if you've got that combo, they're going to take their chances probably on both guys as opposed to just a free pass and then go after the next guy.
"So I'm a big believer that yeah, you need some protection in the lineup."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?