Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo looks to protect Paul Goldschmidt
It was a banner season that earned him a second-place finish in the NL MVP voting and established the first baseman as one of the best young players in baseball.
The D-backs want more, though, which is why they went out and traded for Angels slugger Mark Trumbo.
It's not that they expect Trumbo to motivate Goldschmidt; rather, the thought is he will offer the first baseman a level of "protection" he was lacking last season.
The theory is if you pitch around Goldschmidt you'll have to deal with Trumbo, who hit .234 with 30 home runs while driving in 100 last year.
You kind of have to pick your poison.
"Without a doubt," Trumbo told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday when asked if he believes in the idea of protection in a lineup.
The way Trumbo sees it, the more hot bats there are in a lineup, the more the entire lineup benefits. With the Angels last season, he saw that first-hand with regards to star Mike Trout, who was hitting in front of three-time NL MVP Albert Pujols for a while.
"He got quite a few pitches to hit, then Albert went down, and the next thing you know the guy's got over 100 walks, and I think Goldy experienced that last year, too," he said. "If you really don't have a threat or a guy...if you've got that combo, they're going to take their chances probably on both guys as opposed to just a free pass and then go after the next guy.
"So I'm a big believer that yeah, you need some protection in the lineup."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.