Arizona Diamondbacks 'definitely ready to play games'
"We're definitely ready to play games," manager Kirk Gibson said. "The intensity and the way they've approached every day at practice has been good even though they're ready long ago."
The Diamondbacks open the Cactus League season on Wednesday with a game against the Dodgers at Salt River Fields. Brandon McCarthy will throw the first pitch at 1:10, and according to Gibson, will be on the mound four innings or 60 pitches.
"You want to extend them in preparation for what we're going to do in Australia," he said.
Here's the lineup Gibson is running out against Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw:
Aaron Hill 2B
Paul Goldschmidt 1B
Martin Prado 3B
Mark Trumbo LF
Miguel Montero C
Matt Tuiasosopo DH
Cliff Pennington SS
Gerardo Parra RF
"We have a strong lineup," Gibson said. "We have some strong guys on the bench this year. We're going to have to keep everybody involved. I say it every year. This is legitimate guys that are going to end up on our bench. We're going to have some players that are going to have to take some time off."
The Diamondbacks will play 24 games over 19 days before leaving for Australia where they will open the regular season with two games against the Dodgers on March 22-23.
The trick, Gibson said, is giving everyone—pitchers and position players alike -- all an opportunity to play.
"We've talked a lot about this spring training, how we've kind of really focused on making sure they've had time to recover and keep them healthy," he said. "Everybody has loved it. Have you heard anybody complain about it, about the pace? It's been outstanding. My question would be why wouldn't we do that in the season as well? Why wouldn't it work there? Ultimately, we're trying to win games. We're trying to win as many games as we can. We're trying to keep guys healthy, fresh, enthusiastic; able to make the plays.
"My curiosity is what's the proper balance, how do I keep guys going. Ultimately in the end we're trying to win as many games as we can. We've got a lot of good players that I've got to integrate in. We'll buy into that. I think it'll help us out."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.