D-backs' Kirk Gibson considering not taking Patrick Corbin to Australia
The Arizona Diamondbacks will face the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney, Australia March 22.
The trip creates some interesting managerial challenges, no doubt. Like whom to take and whom to leave home? The Diamondbacks and Dodgers will be allowed to take 30 players each to Australia, 27 of whom will be eligible to play.
With only two games down under, and the need for only two starting pitchers, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson has to decide on which of his starting hurlers will make the trek to Sydney.
For instance, Patrick Corbin, who was an All-Star in 2013 and led the D-backs with 13 wins. He'll likely be Arizona's number-one starter, but might not go on the trip.
"Corbin threw a lot of innings (last year), for him, so maybe it's the smart thing to leave him back," Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "But at the same time, he might be the best pitcher and in the end if we decide that he is, he'll go."
Corbin, 24, pitched 208.1 innings in his first full Major League season -- enough for eighth-most in the National League.
Even though the games in Australia will count in the official standings, it may not be worth it to tax the youngster with unnecessary travel. But ultimately, Gibson hasn't made his mind up just yet.
"I think we'll try to get through this first week -- we've got three double-headers, so we'll see where we're at, and we'll realign people if we have to from that point," Gibson said.
Regardless of what players are on the charter flight, Gibson says the Diamondbacks have one clearly defined goal for their trip.
"Our intention is to try and win both games."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.