D-backs GM: Team not ready to name Australia pitchers
The two-game series between the D-backs and the Los Angeles Dodgers is scheduled for March 22nd and 23rd, and Towers expects his starting pitchers, who are yet to be named, to be ready for the games on international territory.
"I think we're in the very early process of lining up our pitching for the beginning of the season," Towers told the Doug and Wolf Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "We've got kind of an idea of what we'll more than likely do in the first two games in Australia and then what the first four games are going to look like against the Giants.
"That can always be tweaked a little bit, but right now it is lining things up to get a rotation in line for not only Australia, but for the start of the season."
The D-backs will pick two out of a group that will likely consist of Patrick Corbin, Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy and new addition Bronson Arroyo. Towers says he wants to see them pitch a few times during spring training before the team makes any decisions.
The D-backs and Dodgers will be allowed to bring 30 players on the trip, with only 25 eligible to play in the series.
The games will be played on a renovated cricket field and is set to start nine days before the rest of baseball begins their 2014 season.
"Other than really getting our guys going a little bit earlier, we're taking those two games very seriously," Towers said. "Travel is not weighing into it and we're going to go with our two best guys.
"We're going look at the Dodgers and who has better numbers against them and what are the best matchups and which two starters that we run out there are going to give us our best chance to win two games and hopefully be 2-0 when we come back home."
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.