D-backs president: Best way to retaliate would be to beat the Dodgers on the field
All the bean balls, brawls, pool parties and verbal barbs really mean nothing unless the Diamondbacks sit atop the NL West by the time the season is over.
But that doesn't mean the rivalry itself is something to shy away from, even if it has led to some animosity within the organizations and threats from some fans.
"That's sports, that's a rivalry, it's beautiful," D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday. "I was getting those same threats and negative tweets and emails from fans when I made my comments that they celebrated in our pool."
Hall said he had discussions with with the Dodgers shortly after that all happened last season, adding there were some conversations as recently as Wednesday as the teams met up in the Cactus League opener.
"I had a number of employees and executives, very well known, from the Dodgers come to my office yesterday at Salt River Fields and say it was classless in their opinion," he said.
But it's all in the past now, and as Hall said, it's important everyone move on and focus on the 2014 season. That's part of the reason why he said there was no need to address the team about what went down in 2013 and ask for them to respond, at least in the way some think they should.
"They'll take care of their own business if they see it fit," Hall said. "That's another beauty of our sport is throughout our history, players take it upon themselves the police the situation."
And the Dodgers celebrating in the pool, Hall said, may not warrant getting hit in the back with a baseball.
"Probably not that act," he said. "You go out and you hope to beat them. And if you're lucky enough, maybe you celebrate on their field and you do it in a very classy way.
"That's the best way to do it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.