ESPN MLB writer: Not many will pick Diamondbacks to reach the playoffs
That's according to ESPN MLB writer Jerry Crasnick, who as a guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM said it would pick up if the D-backs posed a legitimate threat to them.
"If the Diamondbacks could win 90-95 games and they could have a big race right down to the finish it would certainly pick up some steam," he said. "But the Diamondbacks were a .500 team last year so I don't think it's at that point yet."
Then the question is, of course, if the D-backs will be good enough to give the Dodgers a run for the NL West.
Last season, Arizona led for much of the early part only to end up helpless as L.A. went on a historic run to claim the division.
This season, the D-backs may not be the only one with a chance to unseat the reigning champs.
"San Diego's kind of a dark horse, and Colorado if Tulowitzki and Gonzalez can stay healthy, and San Francisco is always tough," Crasnick said. "I like a lot of the elements that Arizona has, [but] they need somebody to really step up in the pitching rotation.
"Whether it's Cahill or Arroyo, I don't know that most people feel like they have a pitching rotation to compare to the Dodgers. And the Dodgers just have so much star power that if they can stay healthy, they look like a team that has the potential to win that division by eight or 10 games."
That's not to say Crasnick sees no hope for everyone else, though, and as anyone could tell you preseason predictions don't always match up with the final result.
"I think the Diamondbacks are a very intriguing team and if things go right they're a team that could be in contention for a playoff spot, but I don't think nationally there's going to be a huge number of people who are going to be picking them to get to the playoffs."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.