Brad Ziegler: If D-backs need me to close, something went wrong
"I know from our team's perspective, if everybody in the bullpen is pitching lights out, I'm not our closer," he told the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Monday. "I don't have the power stuff you look for.
"If Addison Reed or J.J. Putz or David Hernandez is pitching well, one of them is going to have that job. I kind of got it last year by default."
Ziegler went 8-1 last season while also locking down 13 saves. He threw 73.0 innings over the course of 78 appearances, allowing just 61 hits and 22 walks while striking out 44. He finished the season with a 2.22 ERA, and while he may have earned the job due to other pitchers struggling, he kept it because of his own effectiveness.
And it's not as if Ziegler had never been a closer, as he saved 11 games for the A's as a rookie and had 20 in his career prior to last season.
But with Putz healthy, Hernandez having a clear head and the team acquiring the former White Sox closer Reed, the goal would very much seem to be to avoid needing Ziegler in that role again. As someone who excels at inducing ground balls, having the submariner available to get out of a tight jam in the late innings could be just as valuable as having him reserved for the ninth.
He gets it, and he's fine with it.
"I think everybody realizes if everybody in our bullpen is pitching well, then I'm not our closer," he said. "And if I'm closing, then there's a lot of things that have gone wrong at that point and that's not a good thing."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.