Updated Mar 4, 2014 - 5:21 pm
D-backs' Delgado gets by in spring win over Padres
Delgado went 3.2 innings, allowing five hits, four earned runs and two homers in an 8-6 Arizona victory.
Carlos Quentin hit a solo shot off of Delgado in the second, while teammate Yonder Alonso connected on a solo blast one inning later.
"I was feeling pretty good, but had a couple bad pitches with command or something, but I feel great," Delgado said following his outing.
Delgado threw 74 pitches in his second Cactus League start, 40 for strikes. The two pitches that were hit out of the ballpark were both fastballs, and the D-backs hurler wasn't too pleased with the location of either.
"A little bit up, perfect for hitters," he said.
Manager Kirk Gibson summed up his starter's performance.
"He got through it, he got behind in counts and gave up the home runs," he said. "But he threw the ball well, he did good."
Delgado was staked to a three-run lead before he ever toed the rubber thanks to first-inning RBI singles from Martin Prado and Matt Tuiasosopo.
The game was tied 5-5 after six innings, but the D-backs broke it open with three in the seventh on RBI doubles by Aaron Hill and Paul Goldschmidt and a Tuiasosopo sacrifice fly.
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.