Updated Mar 4, 2014 - 5:21 pm
D-backs' Delgado gets by in spring win over Padres
Delgado went 3.2 innings, allowing five hits, four earned runs and two homers in an 8-6 Arizona victory.
Carlos Quentin hit a solo shot off of Delgado in the second, while teammate Yonder Alonso connected on a solo blast one inning later.
"I was feeling pretty good, but had a couple bad pitches with command or something, but I feel great," Delgado said following his outing.
Delgado threw 74 pitches in his second Cactus League start, 40 for strikes. The two pitches that were hit out of the ballpark were both fastballs, and the D-backs hurler wasn't too pleased with the location of either.
"A little bit up, perfect for hitters," he said.
Manager Kirk Gibson summed up his starter's performance.
"He got through it, he got behind in counts and gave up the home runs," he said. "But he threw the ball well, he did good."
Delgado was staked to a three-run lead before he ever toed the rubber thanks to first-inning RBI singles from Martin Prado and Matt Tuiasosopo.
The game was tied 5-5 after six innings, but the D-backs broke it open with three in the seventh on RBI doubles by Aaron Hill and Paul Goldschmidt and a Tuiasosopo sacrifice fly.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.