D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
The Diamondbacks had to give up outfielder Adam Eaton and starting pitcher Tyler Skaggs in December to get the 28-year-old slugger from the Los Angeles Angels. He has spent extensive time at first base in his career, but with Paul Goldschmidt occupying the position for the D-backs, the 6-foot-4, 235-pound Trumbo will have to settle in at the left field spot.
While on the Doug & Wolf show Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, D-backs president Derrick Hall shared some early impressions of the team's newest power hitter after seeing him in action through the first week of spring training games.
"Well, we had to give up a lot to get a lot, so it's hard to evaluate right now. However, we're very happy. Trumbo's come here with everything as advertised -- tremendous power," Hall said.
In the team's most recent game, Trumbo doubled, knocked in a run and scored a run in two at-bats in a 6-5 loss to the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday.
In his first three full seasons in the majors, the Anaheim, Calif., native smacked 95 homers and 80 doubles and drove in 284 runs. However, Hall said Trumbo's prowess with the bat isn't the only thing that's impressed him since the slugger joined the D-backs.
"He looks really good at the plate, but he's also looked great in left field, and that's not an exaggeration; he's looked great," the team's president said. "He's an athlete. He can cover a lot of ground. He runs well. He's got a good arm.
"He seems to be just fine out there. It also helps to know that he's got (center fielder) A.J. Pollock to his left, who can cover an immense amount of ground."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.