D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
The Diamondbacks had to give up outfielder Adam Eaton and starting pitcher Tyler Skaggs in December to get the 28-year-old slugger from the Los Angeles Angels. He has spent extensive time at first base in his career, but with Paul Goldschmidt occupying the position for the D-backs, the 6-foot-4, 235-pound Trumbo will have to settle in at the left field spot.
While on the Doug & Wolf show Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, D-backs president Derrick Hall shared some early impressions of the team's newest power hitter after seeing him in action through the first week of spring training games.
"Well, we had to give up a lot to get a lot, so it's hard to evaluate right now. However, we're very happy. Trumbo's come here with everything as advertised -- tremendous power," Hall said.
In the team's most recent game, Trumbo doubled, knocked in a run and scored a run in two at-bats in a 6-5 loss to the Kansas City Royals on Wednesday.
In his first three full seasons in the majors, the Anaheim, Calif., native smacked 95 homers and 80 doubles and drove in 284 runs. However, Hall said Trumbo's prowess with the bat isn't the only thing that's impressed him since the slugger joined the D-backs.
"He looks really good at the plate, but he's also looked great in left field, and that's not an exaggeration; he's looked great," the team's president said. "He's an athlete. He can cover a lot of ground. He runs well. He's got a good arm.
"He seems to be just fine out there. It also helps to know that he's got (center fielder) A.J. Pollock to his left, who can cover an immense amount of ground."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.