Updated Mar 14, 2014 - 4:07 pm
D-backs Henry Blanco wants to coach after playing career
The 42-year-old is currently competing with teammate Tuffy Gosewich for the backup catcher role, however, he expressed his desire to be a coach at the end of his career -- which could be at the end of spring training or the end of the season.
"Next year, I will be a coach, hopefully," Blanco told The Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Blanco, who has played in parts of 16 big league seasons, is trying to make the D-backs' roster for the second time in his career. He will have to battle Gosewich, who played in 14 games last year when Miguel Montero landed on the disabled list.
"It's a battle and it's a good competition," Blanco said. "I think at the end of the day, you got to feel good about yourself coming to spring training and giving it a try to play one more year."
Blanco, the second oldest player in the league, has batted .223 with 298 RBI and 72 home runs in 971 career games. He would veteran presence to the clubhouse if he does win the job to back up Montero.
"I feel pretty good about it," Blanco said about his last season in the league. "I think the most important thing is that I'm healthy and that I'm willing to do everything I have to do in order to play this year. So, why not give it a try?"
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.