Updated Mar 14, 2014 - 4:07 pm
D-backs Henry Blanco wants to coach after playing career
The 42-year-old is currently competing with teammate Tuffy Gosewich for the backup catcher role, however, he expressed his desire to be a coach at the end of his career -- which could be at the end of spring training or the end of the season.
"Next year, I will be a coach, hopefully," Blanco told The Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Blanco, who has played in parts of 16 big league seasons, is trying to make the D-backs' roster for the second time in his career. He will have to battle Gosewich, who played in 14 games last year when Miguel Montero landed on the disabled list.
"It's a battle and it's a good competition," Blanco said. "I think at the end of the day, you got to feel good about yourself coming to spring training and giving it a try to play one more year."
Blanco, the second oldest player in the league, has batted .223 with 298 RBI and 72 home runs in 971 career games. He would veteran presence to the clubhouse if he does win the job to back up Montero.
"I feel pretty good about it," Blanco said about his last season in the league. "I think the most important thing is that I'm healthy and that I'm willing to do everything I have to do in order to play this year. So, why not give it a try?"
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.