Updated Mar 14, 2014 - 4:07 pm
D-backs Henry Blanco wants to coach after playing career
The 42-year-old is currently competing with teammate Tuffy Gosewich for the backup catcher role, however, he expressed his desire to be a coach at the end of his career -- which could be at the end of spring training or the end of the season.
"Next year, I will be a coach, hopefully," Blanco told The Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Blanco, who has played in parts of 16 big league seasons, is trying to make the D-backs' roster for the second time in his career. He will have to battle Gosewich, who played in 14 games last year when Miguel Montero landed on the disabled list.
"It's a battle and it's a good competition," Blanco said. "I think at the end of the day, you got to feel good about yourself coming to spring training and giving it a try to play one more year."
Blanco, the second oldest player in the league, has batted .223 with 298 RBI and 72 home runs in 971 career games. He would veteran presence to the clubhouse if he does win the job to back up Montero.
"I feel pretty good about it," Blanco said about his last season in the league. "I think the most important thing is that I'm healthy and that I'm willing to do everything I have to do in order to play this year. So, why not give it a try?"
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.