Updated Mar 16, 2014 - 11:35 am
D-backs pitcher Patrick Corbin to miss Australia trip due to UCL injury
Corbin, 24, left his outing prematurely on Saturday against the Cleveland Indians after feeling tightness in his left forearm. The exit came following his 91st pitch. He was scheduled to throw 100 pitches in his final spring training outing before heading to Sydney, Australia, where he was scheduled to start for the Diamondbacks in Major League Baseball's regular season opener.
Diamondbacks pitcher Wade Miley was announced Sunday as Corbin's replacement in the game, which is the first of two scheduled against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney.
"Obviously, you never want to see anything like that happen to any of your teammates," Miley said Sunday prior to the team's departure for Australia later in the day. "It's unfortunate; he's a big part of this team and it stunk last night when I got the news, but I guess it's something you've got to deal with."
Miley went on to say he was "zero percent packed" on Sunday, as he previously didn't anticipate having to make the cross-continental trip.
"Whatever they want me to throw -- I'll be ready to throw 20 pitches or I'll be ready to throw 100," he said.
In four spring starts, Corbin went 1-1 with a 3.26 ERA in Cactus League play. Miley, 27, has allowed just two earned runs in 14.0 innings pitched this spring.
Significant damage, or a tear, to a pitcher's UCL may require surgical reconstruction, which is most commonly known as Tommy John Surgery.
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.