Updated Mar 16, 2014 - 11:35 am
D-backs pitcher Patrick Corbin to miss Australia trip due to UCL injury
Corbin, 24, left his outing prematurely on Saturday against the Cleveland Indians after feeling tightness in his left forearm. The exit came following his 91st pitch. He was scheduled to throw 100 pitches in his final spring training outing before heading to Sydney, Australia, where he was scheduled to start for the Diamondbacks in Major League Baseball's regular season opener.
Diamondbacks pitcher Wade Miley was announced Sunday as Corbin's replacement in the game, which is the first of two scheduled against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney.
"Obviously, you never want to see anything like that happen to any of your teammates," Miley said Sunday prior to the team's departure for Australia later in the day. "It's unfortunate; he's a big part of this team and it stunk last night when I got the news, but I guess it's something you've got to deal with."
Miley went on to say he was "zero percent packed" on Sunday, as he previously didn't anticipate having to make the cross-continental trip.
"Whatever they want me to throw -- I'll be ready to throw 20 pitches or I'll be ready to throw 100," he said.
In four spring starts, Corbin went 1-1 with a 3.26 ERA in Cactus League play. Miley, 27, has allowed just two earned runs in 14.0 innings pitched this spring.
Significant damage, or a tear, to a pitcher's UCL may require surgical reconstruction, which is most commonly known as Tommy John Surgery.
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewich is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.