Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Patrick Corbin's injury is a 'big kick into the gut'
The 24-year-old went 14-8 last season with a 3.41 ERA, and he was expected to be even better this season.
But things have been put on hold -- possibly for a while -- as the left-hander could be out for the season due to an elbow injury.
It's a tough blow for both the player and the team.
"Patrick, it's a big kick into the gut," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "He's a great kid, a manager's dream.
"Nobody saw it coming; he didn't, we didn't."
Gibson, who is with the team in Australia ahead of their season-opening series against the L.A. Dodgers, said between 25 and 33 percent of all Major League pitchers go through the same type of injury Corbin is dealing with. It's similar to what Daniel Hudson is trying to come back from.
Hudson, who has undergone Tommy John surgery twice, has not pitched in a big league game since June 26, 2012.
That does not mean Corbin will follow the same path, of course, as there are many variables that will determine how this ordeal plays out. As Gibson said, there has been no decision yet on how to proceed, either with rehabilitation or surgery.
"It's a significant injury and it's something that's going to have to be dealt with either way."
But how it even got to this point is something that the skipper thinks about.
"You try and figure out why; he did everything right," Gibson added. "Again, he's on spot with everything he does. I know he's really upset about it, as he should be. We miss him over here.
"He'll come back, he'll be stronger than ever, and our day will come together."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?