Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Patrick Corbin's injury is a 'big kick into the gut'
The 24-year-old went 14-8 last season with a 3.41 ERA, and he was expected to be even better this season.
But things have been put on hold -- possibly for a while -- as the left-hander could be out for the season due to an elbow injury.
It's a tough blow for both the player and the team.
"Patrick, it's a big kick into the gut," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "He's a great kid, a manager's dream.
"Nobody saw it coming; he didn't, we didn't."
Gibson, who is with the team in Australia ahead of their season-opening series against the L.A. Dodgers, said between 25 and 33 percent of all Major League pitchers go through the same type of injury Corbin is dealing with. It's similar to what Daniel Hudson is trying to come back from.
Hudson, who has undergone Tommy John surgery twice, has not pitched in a big league game since June 26, 2012.
That does not mean Corbin will follow the same path, of course, as there are many variables that will determine how this ordeal plays out. As Gibson said, there has been no decision yet on how to proceed, either with rehabilitation or surgery.
"It's a significant injury and it's something that's going to have to be dealt with either way."
But how it even got to this point is something that the skipper thinks about.
"You try and figure out why; he did everything right," Gibson added. "Again, he's on spot with everything he does. I know he's really upset about it, as he should be. We miss him over here.
"He'll come back, he'll be stronger than ever, and our day will come together."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.