Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Patrick Corbin's injury is a 'big kick into the gut'
The 24-year-old went 14-8 last season with a 3.41 ERA, and he was expected to be even better this season.
But things have been put on hold -- possibly for a while -- as the left-hander could be out for the season due to an elbow injury.
It's a tough blow for both the player and the team.
"Patrick, it's a big kick into the gut," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "He's a great kid, a manager's dream.
"Nobody saw it coming; he didn't, we didn't."
Gibson, who is with the team in Australia ahead of their season-opening series against the L.A. Dodgers, said between 25 and 33 percent of all Major League pitchers go through the same type of injury Corbin is dealing with. It's similar to what Daniel Hudson is trying to come back from.
Hudson, who has undergone Tommy John surgery twice, has not pitched in a big league game since June 26, 2012.
That does not mean Corbin will follow the same path, of course, as there are many variables that will determine how this ordeal plays out. As Gibson said, there has been no decision yet on how to proceed, either with rehabilitation or surgery.
"It's a significant injury and it's something that's going to have to be dealt with either way."
But how it even got to this point is something that the skipper thinks about.
"You try and figure out why; he did everything right," Gibson added. "Again, he's on spot with everything he does. I know he's really upset about it, as he should be. We miss him over here.
"He'll come back, he'll be stronger than ever, and our day will come together."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.