Updated Mar 20, 2014 - 5:41 am
Arizona Diamondbacks officially name Addison Reed the closer
Thursday afternoon in Sydney, Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson named Addison Reed the team's closer two days before its season opening series against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Reed, who was acquired by Arizona via trade in Dec. 2013 for third baseman Matt Davidson, recorded 40 saves with the White Sox last season to go along with a 3.79 ERA and 72 strikeouts.
The 25-year-old is expected to shore up the back-end of a bullpen that had its fair share of struggles a season ago. In 2013, the D-backs were tied for the league lead with 29 blown saves.
This spring, Reed is 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA in seven appearances. He's allowed just five hits in seven innings of work.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.