Updated Mar 20, 2014 - 4:41 pm
D-backs' Derrick Hall: Shortstop depth could allow team to deal for pitcher
That's because the D-backs have a surplus at the position and needs at others. Didi Gregorius is embroiled in a battle for the starting spot with Chris Owings, last year's Pacific Coast League Player of the Year. For good measure, switch-hitting veteran Cliff Pennington offers flexibility and depth.
General manager Kevin Towers has been consistent in his "we're not trading a shortstop" narrative, but another front office member says organizational depth at the position could be a factor should Towers decide to unload a shortstop for a starting pitcher.
"Yeah, we could," D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall told Burns and Gambo Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "That's an obvious area that we would focus on is pitching.
"Nothing has really changed as far as the shortstops go, you have the ability to move one because of the word 'depth.'"
Hall points out that the D-backs not only have Gregorius, Owings and Pennington, but also Nick Ahmed, whom the team acquired from the Atlanta Braves in the Justin Upton trade of December 2012.
Ahmed, who is known for being a superb defensive player, spent 2013 at Double-A Mobile, where he batted .236 with four homers and 46 RBI in 136 games. MLB.com has the 24-year-old listed as Arizona's 11th-best minor league prospect.
"We think (Ahmed) is the best shortstop in our system and K.T. will tell you he's the best shortstop defensively he's ever seen," Hall said. "So knowing that you have that in your system, it gives you a little more freedom and liberty to be able to move one of those guys if you have to."
Of course, the Diamondbacks' need for pitching has been intensified by the news that projected Opening Day starter Patrick Corbin will likely miss the season after suffering damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.