Shortstop competition no clearer for D-backs, Owings struggles in first Opening Day start
Who will be the team's starting shortstop?
Because Major League Baseball allowed both the D-backs and Los Angeles Dodgers to travel to Australia with a 28-man active roster, manager Kirk Gibson elected to take both shortstop candidates -- Chris Owings and Didi Gregorius -- with the intention of getting each one start.
Owings got the first crack at making an impression, but his first Opening Day start didn't quite go according to plan in Arizona's 3-1 loss.
The reigning Pacific Coast League Player of the Year struck out swinging twice on off-speed pitches from two-time Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw and also grounded out weakly to second baseman Justin Turner.
If there was a positive for Owings it came in his final at-bat of the night when he worked a two-out walk in the ninth inning off of Kenley Jansen.
Gregorius, who is expected to start in the second game of the series against Hyun Jin-Ryu, also had a plate appearance. The 22-year-old pinch hit for Wade Miley in the bottom of the fifth inning and struck out rather quickly on four pitches.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.