Updated Mar 22, 2014 - 11:32 pm
D-backs' Cahill struggles in first start of season
His lowest ERA with the D-backs since being acquired in a trade before the 2012 season is 3.78, and he racked up a 3.99 ERA last season. He boasts a strikeout-to-walk ratio of worse than 2:1, and has often battled control issues.
And it was more of the same in the D-backs' 7-5 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday in Cahill's 2014 debut.
The 26-year-old right-hander lasted just four-plus innings, allowing eight hits and five runs while walking four and striking out one. He threw just 48 of 89 pitches for strikes, and the D-backs found themselves in a 1-0 hole before getting a chance to step to the plate.
The Dodgers put multiple runners on base in four separate innings against Cahill, the lone exception being a 1-2-3 second. Josh Collmenter, Joe Thatcher, Randall Delgado, Bo Schultz and Addison Reed combined for five innings of relief, allowing just one earned run and two hits while striking out six.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?