Updated Mar 22, 2014 - 11:32 pm
D-backs' Cahill struggles in first start of season
His lowest ERA with the D-backs since being acquired in a trade before the 2012 season is 3.78, and he racked up a 3.99 ERA last season. He boasts a strikeout-to-walk ratio of worse than 2:1, and has often battled control issues.
And it was more of the same in the D-backs' 7-5 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday in Cahill's 2014 debut.
The 26-year-old right-hander lasted just four-plus innings, allowing eight hits and five runs while walking four and striking out one. He threw just 48 of 89 pitches for strikes, and the D-backs found themselves in a 1-0 hole before getting a chance to step to the plate.
The Dodgers put multiple runners on base in four separate innings against Cahill, the lone exception being a 1-2-3 second. Josh Collmenter, Joe Thatcher, Randall Delgado, Bo Schultz and Addison Reed combined for five innings of relief, allowing just one earned run and two hits while striking out six.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.