Updated Mar 24, 2014 - 4:31 pm
Report: D-backs have discussed trading Didi Gregorius
General manager Kevin Towers has maintained that the Diamondbacks would hold onto both Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings, with one player starting for the big league club and the other going down to the minors.
That thinking may be changing.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports, the D-backs have had discussions with at least one team about a deal involving Gregorius.
Source: Pirates have had trade talks with Diamondbacks about shortstop Didi Gregorius.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) March 24, 2014
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweeted there have been discussions between Arizona and other teams for Gregorius' services, as well.
some teams the dbacks have thought of as possibilities for SS didi gregorius: reds, pirates, tigers, mets, yanks— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 24, 2014
Gregorius, 24, was acquired by Arizona in a three-way deal with Cleveland and Cincinnati prior to the 2013 season. In 103 games last year, he batted .252 with seven home runs and 28 RBI while posting a .971 fielding percentage.
However, Gregorius struggled in Cactus League play, hitting just .205 in 39 at-bats.
In Arizona's two regular-season games in Australia against the Dodgers, Gregorius went 0-for-4 and struck out twice.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.