Updated Mar 24, 2014 - 4:31 pm
Report: D-backs have discussed trading Didi Gregorius
General manager Kevin Towers has maintained that the Diamondbacks would hold onto both Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings, with one player starting for the big league club and the other going down to the minors.
That thinking may be changing.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports, the D-backs have had discussions with at least one team about a deal involving Gregorius.
Source: Pirates have had trade talks with Diamondbacks about shortstop Didi Gregorius.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) March 24, 2014
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweeted there have been discussions between Arizona and other teams for Gregorius' services, as well.
some teams the dbacks have thought of as possibilities for SS didi gregorius: reds, pirates, tigers, mets, yanks— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 24, 2014
Gregorius, 24, was acquired by Arizona in a three-way deal with Cleveland and Cincinnati prior to the 2013 season. In 103 games last year, he batted .252 with seven home runs and 28 RBI while posting a .971 fielding percentage.
However, Gregorius struggled in Cactus League play, hitting just .205 in 39 at-bats.
In Arizona's two regular-season games in Australia against the Dodgers, Gregorius went 0-for-4 and struck out twice.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.