Updated Mar 25, 2014 - 1:32 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Patrick Corbin underwent season-ending, Tommy John surgery
"He did have the Tommy John surgery today and it was done by Dr. Andrews in Pensacola," Trammell said Tuesday. "Other than that, I don't know any other details.
"It's a long road back. But it's a road I'm for certain that he'll do everything in his power to get back from. It's a setback for him and for us, but again you have to deal with these things. It's unfortunate."
Corbin, who made his first All-Star appearance with a 14-11 record and 3.41 ERA in 2013, first experienced tightness in his left forearm after a Cactus League outing against the Cleveland Indians March 15.
An MRI later revealed that the 24-year-old had damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow and would likely require season-ending surgery.
While the loss is a big one for the D-backs' rotation, Trammell noted that every team sustains its fair share of bumps and bruises during the 162-game marathon season.
"He's a great kid," said Trammell. "But you now think about Daniel Hudson and going through two and the guys from Atlanta. That's two guys for them going through two of them. Why do they happen? I don't have that answer. I wish I knew. It's unfortunate, but every club in baseball has to deal with these things.
"We're dealing with it now. We'll see what happens. Again, it's an opportunity. Every time these things happen it's an opportunity for somebody to step up. Hopefully that happens here."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.