Updated Mar 25, 2014 - 1:32 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Patrick Corbin underwent season-ending, Tommy John surgery
"He did have the Tommy John surgery today and it was done by Dr. Andrews in Pensacola," Trammell said Tuesday. "Other than that, I don't know any other details.
"It's a long road back. But it's a road I'm for certain that he'll do everything in his power to get back from. It's a setback for him and for us, but again you have to deal with these things. It's unfortunate."
Corbin, who made his first All-Star appearance with a 14-11 record and 3.41 ERA in 2013, first experienced tightness in his left forearm after a Cactus League outing against the Cleveland Indians March 15.
An MRI later revealed that the 24-year-old had damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow and would likely require season-ending surgery.
While the loss is a big one for the D-backs' rotation, Trammell noted that every team sustains its fair share of bumps and bruises during the 162-game marathon season.
"He's a great kid," said Trammell. "But you now think about Daniel Hudson and going through two and the guys from Atlanta. That's two guys for them going through two of them. Why do they happen? I don't have that answer. I wish I knew. It's unfortunate, but every club in baseball has to deal with these things.
"We're dealing with it now. We'll see what happens. Again, it's an opportunity. Every time these things happen it's an opportunity for somebody to step up. Hopefully that happens here."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.