Diamondbacks GM does not anticipate trading Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings
Granted, he probably wouldn't say if he was planning on trading either Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings, but when talking to Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, he gave no indication that a deal is in the team's future, regardless of recent reports.
"We have gotten a lot of calls on our infielders just because of some of the injuries to infielders with other ball clubs, but I don't anticipate making a trade with any of our infielders," he said.
All spring the battle has been between Owings, the 2013 Pacific Coast League MVP, and Gregorius, the D-backs' starting shortstop for the majority of the 2013 campaign. Veteran Cliff Pennington is also in the mix, but his roster spot as a utility infielder appears to be pretty secure, with the competition being between the pair of younger players.
Each started one game and had one pinch hit appearance in Sydney, Australia. Owings, who is considered to be the better hitter of the two, went 1-for-4 with one walk and two strikeouts, while Gregorius was 0-for-4 with one walk and a pair of strikeouts.
"It still is not determined if we on Monday go with two infielders or go with one infielder, which infielder it is," the GM said. "Those decisions don't have to be made until probably Saturday after the game.
"But I don't anticipate moving any of my infielders. I think all remain either with the Diamondbacks or Reno Aces."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.