Diamondbacks GM does not anticipate trading Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings
Granted, he probably wouldn't say if he was planning on trading either Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings, but when talking to Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, he gave no indication that a deal is in the team's future, regardless of recent reports.
"We have gotten a lot of calls on our infielders just because of some of the injuries to infielders with other ball clubs, but I don't anticipate making a trade with any of our infielders," he said.
All spring the battle has been between Owings, the 2013 Pacific Coast League MVP, and Gregorius, the D-backs' starting shortstop for the majority of the 2013 campaign. Veteran Cliff Pennington is also in the mix, but his roster spot as a utility infielder appears to be pretty secure, with the competition being between the pair of younger players.
Each started one game and had one pinch hit appearance in Sydney, Australia. Owings, who is considered to be the better hitter of the two, went 1-for-4 with one walk and two strikeouts, while Gregorius was 0-for-4 with one walk and a pair of strikeouts.
"It still is not determined if we on Monday go with two infielders or go with one infielder, which infielder it is," the GM said. "Those decisions don't have to be made until probably Saturday after the game.
"But I don't anticipate moving any of my infielders. I think all remain either with the Diamondbacks or Reno Aces."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.