Updated Mar 28, 2014 - 11:19 am
D-backs reliever David Hernandez could need Tommy John surgery
First, ace lefty Patrick Corbin had Tommy John surgery earlier this week -- a procedure that will keep him out at least a year. Now, the "epidemic" has reportedly hit the bullpen and reliever David Hernandez, as Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal was first to report the pitcher also has damage in his UCL.
The team confirmed the news in a statement:
D-backs pitcher David Hernandez underwent an MRI yesterday that showed damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. The team will get a second opinion this week.
Hernandez, 28, was looking for a bounce-back season after a disappointing 2013 campaign and it looked like he was headed in that direction. In eight Cactus League outings, the right-hander allowed nine hits and two earned runs over 8.1 innings for an ERA of 2.16. He had struck out five and walked just one.
Hernandez last pitched Wednesday against the Cubs at Salt River Fields, allowing one run in an inning of work in a 14-4 win.
Hernandez could join Corbin, Daniel Hudson and reliever Matt Reynolds as D-backs hurlers in recovery from Tommy John surgeries in the last year.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.