Updated Mar 28, 2014 - 11:19 am
D-backs reliever David Hernandez could need Tommy John surgery
First, ace lefty Patrick Corbin had Tommy John surgery earlier this week -- a procedure that will keep him out at least a year. Now, the "epidemic" has reportedly hit the bullpen and reliever David Hernandez, as Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal was first to report the pitcher also has damage in his UCL.
The team confirmed the news in a statement:
D-backs pitcher David Hernandez underwent an MRI yesterday that showed damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. The team will get a second opinion this week.
Hernandez, 28, was looking for a bounce-back season after a disappointing 2013 campaign and it looked like he was headed in that direction. In eight Cactus League outings, the right-hander allowed nine hits and two earned runs over 8.1 innings for an ERA of 2.16. He had struck out five and walked just one.
Hernandez last pitched Wednesday against the Cubs at Salt River Fields, allowing one run in an inning of work in a 14-4 win.
Hernandez could join Corbin, Daniel Hudson and reliever Matt Reynolds as D-backs hurlers in recovery from Tommy John surgeries in the last year.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.