Brandon McCarthy to take the mound for D-backs home opener
The D-backs have named Brandon McCarthy the starter for the home opener, marking his second time starting a team's opening game in his career.
Similar to how the D-backs and the Los Angeles Dodgers started the season in Sydney, Australia, McCarthy and his former team, the Oakland A's, also opened the 2012 season with an international two-game series and an exhibition game against the host country.
McCarthy started the opener against the Seattle Mariners in Tokyo, Japan. The right-hander pitched seven innings, giving up one run on six hits while striking out three, but did not register the win.
McCarthy has a 2-0 record this spring, pitching a total of 20 innings and maintaining a 2.70 ERA in four games.
After McCarthy pitches Monday, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill and Bronson Arroyo are scheduled to take the mound for the rest of the four-game series.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.