Arizona Diamondbacks unveil 25-man roster for 2014 home opener
Of the 25 players to make the roster, 11 were not on the D-backs' big league club when they opened the 2013 season against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Because of injuries to pitcher Patrick Corbin (torn UCL), pitcher David Hernandez (torn UCL) and outfielder Cody Ross (right hip contusion), the D-backs' roster was adjusted accordingly with 13 pitchers and 12 position players.
"You never want injuries at all," Towers said. "But if it were up to me, I'd rather have it before the season starts, so you can kind of start the season with fresh and healthy people. We lost our number one starter and our setup guy. It's tough to overcome, but it happens in baseball."
Randall Delgado (TBD)
Chris Owings beat out Didi Gregorius, the incumbent, at shortstop. Gregorius will begin the season with Triple-A Reno.
"There's a little relief," Owings said. "I've been working real hard this spring. It was a long, tough competition, especially this spring with it being a little longer. I'm just excited to get that news and go on and get ready for the year."
At catcher, Tuffy Gosewisch beat out Henry Blanco for the back-up slot behind Miguel Montero. Towers noted that the team with try to move the veteran backstop, but if there isn't interest he'll become the team's seventh coach.
"I'm not sure I can express how happy I am," Gosewisch said. "I'm not sure it's set in yet. I'm really excited and glad I'm coming back Monday."
Brandon McCarthy will start the home opener against San Francisco left-hander Madison Bumgarner. He'll be followed in the rotation by Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill and Bronson Arroyo. Arizona's starter for the road opener April 4 in Colorado has yet to be determined.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.